Meen's Reviews > Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King

As I've said in other S.K. reviews, I adore his short story and/or novella collections. This is an older one so I have read it more than the others, and many of the stories are etched in my consciousness. "The Mist" was so disturbing every time I read it, and I dreaded seeing what a mess they would make of it with the film, but it turned out to be quite good (very true to the story). S.K.'s very good at cultivating apocalyptic malaise, and the image of the hero's house (with his soon-to-be deceased wife puttering away inside) as he and his son drive away and the mist rolls in off the lake has always evoked it for me... Gawd, looking over the contents, there are so many various good stories I won't try to comment on them all---"The Reach" is a surprisingly (for S.K.) sweet love story; The "Milkman" stories are hilariously demented; the descent into insanity in "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet" is painful (in the good way) to witness. And as usual with S.K., there are some real stinkers, but you gotta admire that endearingly persistent imperfection! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skeleton Crew.