Debbie's Reviews > Last of the Breed

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour

Jun 03, 08

bookshelves: book-club, oldbooks-historicalfiction
Read in May, 2008

This is the ultimate survivor story. Not only does the main character have to trek across Siberia (after which it will be an easy hop across the Bering Strait to Alaska), armed with only his survival skills (which are remarkable, admittedly), he is being chased by people who want to torture information out of him before they kill him. A survival story is not really a survival story unless you're being chased by fanatics as well as, you know, hunting food with a homemade spear and looking for a bearless skin to protect you from the Siberian winter chill.

I really enjoyed this book. It's satisfying somehow to read about someone who can truly live off the land. He started off with just a knife, which he sneaked out of someone's cabin, and he was able to make himself a spear, a bow and arrow and then moccasins and other clothing from skins of animals he killed. If all the trappings of civilization suddenly broke down or disappeared, I'd want to know someone like him.

Here is a survival tip I learned: if you are crossing a frozen waterway, avoid all patches of snow. Apparently, between the snow and the running water underneath, the ice melts more easily than ice that is not snow-topped.

(There were a few paragraphs in which each sentence ended in an exclamation point! It made me laugh! Or groan!)

I may need to read another Louis L'Amour book now. Maybe a Western, this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last of the Breed.