Melanie's Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, review-copy, young-adult
Read in November, 2011

Juliet Immortal- by Stacey Jay is definitely unique. I haven’t read a retelling on a story this good possibly ever. Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet- the trouble is; they don’t know what really happened. People don’t know that Romeo tricked Juliet and now both suffer an immortal life on opposing sides of light and dark. (Yes, it is hard to explain. The reader sort of just needs to hold on for the wild ride) The story is interesting and complicated- depending on whose vantage point you are looking at the truth changes with it. (Romeo’s point of view is sprinkled throughout the story, but the author has said there will be a sequel from Romeo’s perspective soon)

I am glad I don’t have a vivid imagination, because there is some zombie-like action in this story that could be very hard to stomach if dwelled upon for too long. I should also mention, as other reviewers have, that the plot-line takes some sideways jumps at times and can be sort of confusing. With that said, I was very entertained and not overly troubled by some of the leaps. I couldn’t wait to see what was going to happen to Juliet. I also like how relatable the relationships were. Especially the strained relationship between Ariel and her mom Melanie- what teen couldn’t relate to that? The strong message of being comfortable in your own skin and forgiving yourself are important and come through easily. I will definitely read the next book “Romeo Redeemed” once it is released.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.