Selina's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: horrible
Read from November 24 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy

When I first picked up this book I thought it would have so much potential. The possibilities of how the structure of a dystopian society had come forth, the details of a rebellion that would be sure to have been sired from such an oppresive decision to eradicate Love from society. The depth severiety of security necessary in preventing Love from spreading in those too young, and most suseptable, to be cured. In fact the excerpts Lauren Oliver made at the beginning of eache chapter were far better than the actual story.
That is not what I got. The plot was lacking, focused too much on the insecurites of a teenage girl, and not on the transformation from pathetic to strong because of Love. There was not enough detailing on the structure of government, only on the medical facility and minor security for the city.
Laren Oliver seemed rather obsessed with similies and repetition while she was writing this novel. While reading this I found that there was a similie on every page, often averaging at three. Every thought that the protagonist had would be emphasized with repeating it, or a variation of, three times. Over used and often distracting - though considering how lacking this story was I consider the annoying distraction a blessing.
Then there is the ending. Those of you familiar with the Young Adult structure of a series with a female protagonist know that the girl falls madly in love with a boy in the first novel, and in the second they see another boy who's beauty is without compare. Well, the purpose of the ending of Delirium is to ensure that the love triangle that surfaces in installment number two will indeed happen.

SPOILER ALERT:
Our protagonist is considering ending her life in the end of this novel rather than live a life without her love Alex, she loves him so dearly she will risk everything either to be with him or to be dead, as long as it means she is not cured. The two of them manage to escape and then are being chased by guards and helicopters, Alex tells Lena to take hold of the motorcycle and go. In the end she escapes and he does not. Why? No clue, he is literally standing there and she has time to run, turn around, hide behind a tree and look back at him still standing there as guards are finally filling in the clearing around where he stands. This is why I gave this novel one star instead of two. There was absolutely no reason for him not to make it over that fence with her except to ensure she goes free and loves another man in the second book only to return and create the love triangle. I know this, and I have not bothered to look at the second book. Too predictable and exponentially pointless.

This novel had so much potential, but it fell short on all acounts.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Selina Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

11/25/2011 page 61