Gwen's Reviews > Gallimore

Gallimore by Michelle Griep

Oct 13, 14

bookshelves: kindle-ebooks-i-own
Read in March, 2012

Jessica Neale has shut down toward life and God since her husband's tragic death. For her son's sake, she allows her mother to talk her into taking a therapeutic vacation in England, and while there visiting castle ruins, she finds herself sucked into to a medieval world complete with castles, knights, and Old English jargon. Her arrival displaces Colwyn -- a knight on his way to battle -- and therefore puts him and the inhabitants of Gallimore Castle in a precarious situation with King Edward. Much to Jess' and Colwyn's chagrin, they can't seem to get rid of each other. But oh, they try. :-)

This was a beautiful, heart-wrenching story that wonderfully demonstrates the difficult but rewarding choice to show kindness and love to someone who doesn't deserve it. Jess and Colwyn are such wounded, tortured souls. I couldn't help but cheer them on with each step they took toward releasing their grief and choosing to love again.

I didn't really get into the book until the halfway mark -- not because of any fault with the pace or plot -- it was rather because I didn't like Colwyn at first. I wanted to smack him over the side of his head a few times. But by the middle of the book, I was biting my nails over his safety and how the book would end. I was so hooked at that point that I stayed up until three in the morning, anxious to find out what would happen. Griep gave it a beautiful, heart-warming ending -- it wasn't what I wanted for one of the characters, but after thinking about it, I realized that had it ended the way I wanted it to, that character would have been miserable.

Michelle Griep is a fantastic writer! Her frequent use of the five senses and graphic descriptions immerse the reader into the story rather than distract from it. No cardboard characters in this book. They're so real you can reach out and touch them -- they do the wrong thing, they struggle with selfishness, and they ached to be loved. And best of all, Griep knows how to write humor and weave it perfectly into a story filled with tear-jerking emotion. I'm giving it four stars, and waiting with bated breath for Michelle Griep's next release. :-) If you dig roguish knights, castles, evil villains, and a fast-paced, gripping story, you won't want to miss out on Gallimore.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gallimore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Stokes Oooh, this is such a fun book! :) Enjoy!

Gwen Thanks Amber! I'm close to the middle and I am enjoying it. It's a fast and fun read. :-)

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan This looks like an interesting book Gwendolyn. Lots of good reviews

Gwen It is an excellent book! I finished it yesterday. I will post a review later. :-)

anna The books sounds good, but I wish people would stop referring to the langauge spoken in the 14th century as 'Old English'.
It is Middle English- Old English would be incomprehensible to anyone except a professor of ligusitics or Anglo Saxon whereas Middle English understandable- most of the time.