Caryn's Reviews > City of Bones

Jun 11, 08

bookshelves: youngreaderandteen, fantasy
Read in June, 2008

Yeah. She went there.

This is a classic case of how my judgement of books by their covers really screws with me. I would never have picked this book up for myself. It's lucky, then, that someone else picked it up for me.

To all those who read Twilight thinking that there has to be something to all the hype, and were sorely disappointed (like I was), I present you with City of Bones.

If you can look past its ridiculous cover and gag-worthy title, it's actually a fabulous book.

Clary (short for Clarissa, how cute is that?) sees something she's not supposed to while out clubbing with her friend Simon (who is about as cute-nerdy as you can get) and it's about to get her into trouble.

Yes, there are vampires and werewolves and a boy who is entirely pretty for his own good. But in this book, the vampires ride motorcycles, the werewolves are a surprisingly friendly bunch, and the boy isn't so maddeningly oblivious to the effect he has on girls. He knows he's hot, and he likes using it to his advantage, like any good seventeen-year-old boy.

Admittedly, some plot points are groan-worthy. The villain's name is Valentine, for goodness' sake. And... let's just put it this way... she saw Star Wars a few too many times.

Oh yeah, she went there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.