Kristin's Reviews > Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs

Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs by Ron Koertge

Nov 16, 2011

bookshelves: gstba, read-2011, yaf
Read in November, 2011

I did not read the first installment of this series, but I don't think it is necessary (though, I want to!). Kevin loves baseball and poetry. He has a cute girlfriend named Mira, but they seem to have lost their connection. They don't have the same things in common anymore. Kevin meets Amy, a fellow poetry-lover, and gets a little...distracted. This novel in verse navigates the tricky waters that are middle school and romance with sensitivity and charm. Love of poetry is not a requirement because the narrative is fluid and steady - even using different forms of poetry! The writing seems effortless, but like great poetry, every word is deliberate.

This is a quiet story, full of characters trying to figure themselves out in healthy and creative ways. The trouble for this book might be finding an audience, but once it's in a teen's hands I think it will strike a chord. And, it's a nice quick read, too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs.