Lee Anne's Reviews > The Year of Magical Thinking

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Dec 22, 11

Read from December 15 to 21, 2011

Author Joan Didion's account of the year following her husband's sudden death from a heart attack, while their only daughter is also gravely ill. My sister said people in her book club didn't like the book because Didion's wealth and rather glamorous life--traveling the world, staying in luxury hotels, an apartment in New York--made her experience unrelatable. But this book isn't about the universal experience of widowhood, it's about Didion's experience of widowhood. It's such a beautifully written book, made even more sad with the knowledge that after publication their daughter died, that I can easily accept the occasional pretentious, overly literary intellectual reference that may have stymied the book club members.

Didion has recently written a follow-up, Blue Nights, about Quintana's death, that I have to read next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Magical Thinking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Aha, reverse snobbery. After my mother died I was so glad I had read this book because it explained my own mind to myself.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy I keep picking this up thinking I should read it.

Lee Anne You should.