Eman's Reviews > Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Nov 16, 11

Read in November, 2011

This was a great novel from Aprilynne Pike. I really enjoyed the building of characters and the glimpse into the life of Laurel before she was "human". The world of faerie according to Aprilynne is fascinating, and she really gets me thinking about how Laurel's character might change the faerie world some day.

Now, I really like David. He is an acceptional teenage human boy, who truely loves Laurel. But, in all human and other creature relationships, its not going to be perfect forever. Laurel is not going to age for sometime and it will start to be noticeable as David does. She is going to stay a faerie and David will age. I like their relationship but I am a bigger fan of Tamani and Laurel.

Tamani has made sacrifices all his life for his true love, even when she can't remember how it used to be. Tamani would never give up on her no matter what, even when he knows how Laurel feels about David. David was willing to serender, but Tamani will never falter. I think Laurel is just afraid of giving into her Faerie life, truthfully.

I loved hearing about their past, meeting Tamani's family which gave me a bigger insight into his character and also what the other faeries thought about the relationship. I was hoping for some of this in Wings but I'm glad it was saved for this book as it was possible for certain things to be explored more thoroughly. The time in Avalon was lovely to read about as Pike's descriptions were magical in themselves. I truly felt like I was walking through the different areas and could understand the faerie hierarchy better because of this.

I really, really wish I could go to Avalon because I gotta admit, it sounds a lot better than the society we are living in.

Once again, I personally root for Tamani to get Laurel because in all truth, DAVID IS BORING. Tamani seems to have this intrigue and even Laurel knows this. I wish this dumb love triangle will end and Laurel ends up with Tamani. David has no development and seems to be lacked throughout the entire book.

The author is extremely descriptive because I am DROOLING to go to Avalon. Great imagery and all. Can't wait for the third book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spells.