Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada's Reviews > Possession

Possession by Elana Johnson

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: borrowed, bought-in-store, own, 2011
Read from December 05 to 07, 2011

Vi's world is full of technology that that is so advanced that I had a hard time wrapping my brain around what certain things do. Sometimes there were no explanations whatsoever so following along was rather difficult. I found myself assuming what things were based on what the term said which wasn't hard to do, but I would have liked a better explanation as to why things were the way they were.

I love Vi's feistiness or you could say stubbornness. It helps her get out of sticky situations and her ability to control any type of technology and influence people to do things is pretty remarkable. I can definitely see Possession being made into a movie because the setting, the story, and the characters are so well fleshed out.

Can I just say that the technology in this book is pretty damn neat? (Yes I said neat!) Teleportation, the creation of food, a phone that can pretty much do everything, I loved the gadgets in this book. Would definitely make my life a lot easier, but a lot less fun too now that I think about it.

Control is another key component in the novel. Having a Goodie boyfriend who becomes an Agent in the Special Forces doesn't help Ana in any way, because his humanity slowly dissipates. I really enjoyed reading about Ana's struggles for her feelings for both Zen and Jag. Funny how she fell in love do easily with Jag, but I'm guessing you can't help who you fall for. We don't find much about Zen's history with Vi, but I feel like it was a different type of love. Her relationship with Jag (short as it may be) helped her feel alive, made her whole and complete. Oh what it's like to be in love again.
Why are there Goodies and Baddies in the first place? What made them become slaves to the Thinkers? What's going to happen when Vi realizes what her father has done? Is Jag going to find her? What happened to her sister Tyson/Gavin?? There are so many unanswered questions! I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

RATING 4/5

COVER
The butterfly trapped in an ice cube is basically symbolizing Vi’s freedom from the Association, from control. Since butterflies are beautiful and free and can do whatever they feel like, it's a perfect fit for what Possession is all about. I do rather love the glittery texture of the book jacket and the purple and green color of the title and author name in embossed lettering gave it a nice touch.

QUOTES
"The transmissions are crystal clear. No human contact past age eight, until you're married. That rule is the first imprinted, starting at age three, when the transmissions become mandatory."—page 129

"Teleporting is the best—and worst—way to travel. The best part is the speed. You simply say where you want to go and your molecules evaporate, fly across space, and reassemble there. In a few seconds, any distance could be covered.

The bad thing is the reorganization of your particles. It isn't exactly painful, but it takes several seconds for your body to start functioning again."—page 229

"Vi, a Choker is someone who fills you up," he said, his soft voice reaching to the furthest parts of my soul. "Fill you up so full, you feel like you could choke.—page 251

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.