Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)'s Reviews > Possession

Possession by Elana Johnson

Apr 05, 2016

bookshelves: borrowed, bought-in-store, own, 2011, unsolicited, from-publishers, 4-star, genre-dystopia, genre-romance, genre-science-fiction, genre-apocalyptic, from-work
Read from December 05 to 07, 2011

A finished copy was provided by the publisher for review.

Ana’s world is full of technology that that is so advanced that I had a hard time wrapping my brain around what certain things do. Sometimes there were no explanations whatsoever so following along was rather difficult. I found myself assuming what things were based on what the term said which wasn’t hard to do, but I would have liked a better explanation as to why things were the way they were.

I love Anja’s feistiness or you could say stubbornness. It helps her get out of sticky situations and her ability to control any type of technology and influence people to do things is pretty remarkable. I can definitely see Possession being made into a movie because the setting, the story, and the characters are so well fleshed out.

Can I just say that the technology in this book is pretty damn neat? (Yes I said neat!) Teleportation, the creation of food, a phone that can pretty much do everything. I loved the gadgets in this book. Would make life a lot easier but a lot less fun too now that I think about it.

Control is another key component in the novel. Having a Goodie boyfriend who becomes an Agent in the Special Forces doesn’t help Ana in any way, because his humanity lowly dissipates. I really enjoyed reading about Ana’s struggles for her feelings for both Zen or Jag. Funny how she fell in love do easily with Jag, but I’m guessing you can’t help who you fall for. We don’t find much about Zen’s history with Ana, but I feel like it was a different type of love. Her relationship with Jag (short as it may be) helped her feel alive, made her whole and complete. Oh what it’s like to be in love again.

Why are there Goodies and Baddies in the first place? What made them become slaves to the Thinkers? What’s going to happen when Ana realizes what her father has done? Is Jag going to find her? What happened to her sister Tyson/Gavin?? There’s so many unanswered questions! I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.

04/04 marked as: read