Anna (Literary Exploration)'s Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Nov 16, 2011

bookshelves: harperteen, books-i-own, signed
Read from February 04 to 09, 2012

More of my reviews can be found on my blog: Literary Exploration

I first fell in love with this book because of its gorgeous and striking cover. That girl in a blue dress is just so fantastic and so refreshing compared to all the girls in red dresses that have been around lately. I wasn't too sure about the concept at first, because it sounded a bit cheesy, and the comparison to "The Bachelor" made me cringe since I really dislike that show, but for some inexplicable reason I was so drawn to it! I eventually borrowed a copy from my friend Molli and I couldn't put it down! America Singer is a fantastic and strong female protagonist who will do anything for her family and who doesn't let the world choose for her. The story enveloped me in a blanket of romance, friendship, and competition that has me so excited for the upcoming CW show!

America Singer is on the lower end of the social ladder and her boyfriend Aspen is even lower. When she enters the lottery for a coveted spot in the competition for Prince Maxon's heart she never dreams she'll be chosen. And then she is. Even though America resists the entire situation completely, she decides she's going to make her own decisions. I loved how passionate she is about her family and taking care of them, but also about not being something that she's not. There is a bit of a love triangle, but I actually enjoyed the way it played out. Honestly, I can't really choose between either of the boys, I liked them both so much!

The story itself is rather a loose form of what we know as dystopian. I would say it's definitely a fluffier dystopian novel, but it works. Most of the novel just focuses on Maxon choosing a bride and his relationships with all of the girls. The competition definitely gets heated, and I loved all the catty behavior that goes down! It almost made me want to start watching The Bachelor!!! The story itself is pretty fast paced, but there are some slower parts that had me skipping a few pages. Overall, though, I definitely enjoyed what was happening and I can't wait for the next one!

The Selection by Kiera Cass isn't a work of art, nor is it a life changing story, but it's entertaining and the characters are well written. The world building is minute since most of the story takes place in the actual castle, but America isn't afraid to speak her mind and the men in her life are glad to listen. I'm definitely excited to see where Cass is going to go from here, and I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming CW show! Fans of The Bachelor, softer dystopian, and romantic stories will definitely love The Selection!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

02/07/2012 page 87
27.0% "bahaha hunger games meets the bachelor?! I like it!"
02/08/2012 page 185
57.0% "I already love America!!! LOL!" 2 comments

message 1: by Giselle (new)

Giselle One of my GR friends totally hated this I'm very wary of it. Curious to see if you like it. Hers is the only review I saw.

Anna (Literary Exploration) I've heard really mixed things, but I'm borrowing it, so whatever LOL!

Tara eeee!!! im glad you liked it!!!!

Anna (Literary Exploration) Tara wrote: "eeee!!! im glad you liked it!!!!"

yes! I did enjoy it :)

Amanda I want to read this :)

Anna (Literary Exploration) Amanda wrote: "I want to read this :)"

It was good so I hope you like it :)

Amanda I won a finish copy, but i have to pick it up at the border in April

Anna (Literary Exploration) Amanda wrote: "I won a finish copy, but i have to pick it up at the border in April"

Where did you win it from??? That is weird.

Amanda Anna wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I won a finish copy, but i have to pick it up at the border in April"

Where did you win it from??? That is weird."

From Publishing Crawl