MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Rose Mellie Rose

Nov 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: pernod-and-gauloises, novellas, distaff
Read on November 17, 2011

The final little slip in Redonnet’s triptych doesn’t have the same lyrical melancholy as its predecessors (perhaps, in part to the series being written in little over six months), but retains the fabulist magic and surreal antics that made the other two so charming and unique. The improvisation is more apparent in this one, and doesn’t suggest as much structural wizardry behind the pages. This edition has an illuminating (and somewhat arrogant) essay by the author explaining her intention to fight her way free of poetic/authorial influence. I heartily recommend Redonnet to readers of the French novel post-Grillet and post-Oulipo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose Mellie Rose.

Nate D awaiting news, and my own copy, now in the mail.

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls I wasn't as keen on this one . . . no doubt the style was wearing on me. But don't let my review disparage you!

message 3: by Tuck (new)

Tuck post oulipo, but like oulipo? better?

message 4: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Well, by "post-Oulipo" I mean their sixties/seventies heyday. Same with Robbe-Grillet, i.e. post-new novel. I'd say Redonnet's style uses similar constraints a la Oulipo, so just as good.

message 5: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Sarki Just began reading it today, but I do enjoy the voice more than the first two and was thinking that was a very positive development.

message 6: by MJ (last edited Mar 29, 2015 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ Nicholls Is the voice very different from the first two? I can't recall if they're all fairly similar.

message 7: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Sarki I felt the first two books had almost the same voice. This one is definitely different for me. But the fact that this girl is uneducated, unworldly, and basically illiterate has caused me some problems because she seems to know quite a bit for a twelve year-old girl.