Nikki's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: audio, fantasy
Read in November, 2011

Ah, the old BBC audio adaptation. It's abridged, and adapted to be a radio play, so don't expect utter faithfulness to the books. There's no Old Man Willow and no Tom Bombadil here, for example. Still, it is a very full telling -- surprisingly so. I first listened to these tapes when I was little, and borrowed my grandmother's copies. Eventually I got my own, but I still haven't listened to them all. Now's the time, I guess.

I think it was an extremely well-cast, well-edited bit of work. Some of it throws me now -- like Ian Holm playing Frodo, since he played Bilbo in the films -- but there are very few of the voices I don't like. I especially like Gandalf's voice. I was never very fond of Aragorn's, though it grows to sound more natural the more you hear it, and I never found that Legolas was really distinctive enough to pick him out of the background. Hopefully that'll change when I get onto The Two Towers.

I do like how much they kept in of the background of the world -- the songs, mostly, most of them set to music. I love Sam's 'Gil-galad', and 'Seek for the Sword That Was Broken'. Even with the necessity for cutting it down, they managed to preserve a sense of the breadth of Middle-earth and the stories there.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1).