Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)'s Reviews > The Next Thing I Knew

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Read from November 23 to 24, 2011

I received this book as a part of the Read 2 Review program.

First I would classify this book as beginning much like a dystopian novel then ending for science fiction. I read all genres for the most part, so this didn't bother me.

I have mixed feelings about this book. The first half behaved with the right mix of dystopian with a bit of romance for good measure. Then the second half of the book fell apart for me.

Let me explain. The author introduces us to a girl who behaves very much like a girl leaning toward being a girly girl. She loves and thinks of boys, clothes and shoes. Then the second half of the book, she starts to act and think more like a boy which may be natural because the author is male, but it threw me for a loop. The romance went from some to none for a good part. I understand Lucy must grow into the leader she is destined to become, but she is like a shadow of the character we thought her to be in a blink of an eye. I understand there is an event that precipitates that change, but I had a hard time accepting. I found myself skimming parts of the story to get back to where we had been led all along. We do get back there kind of. But there are also holes in the story with characters that go missing in the story with no explanation as to their whereabouts until they show up again. By the end of the story I found myself getting back to the good place I'd been in the first half. But sometimes it’s a little too late.

Although I read and love many book without romance, I hate to be teased. Don't start romance and decide later that's not the objective of the book. The story just lost its luster for me by the second half. Maybe I agree with some of the others that the story would have been better without romance. But in the end, I think the story benefited from it being there. I just think the second half of the book could have handled it better.

I also wonder if this is a standalone book or a beginning to a series???

Overall it was a pretty good read. I did like the story. I will probably read more from this author. If you’re not into romance, I think you will enjoy this one if you like dystopian or science fiction stories.

This book is probably not for "younger" young adults as sex although not explicit does play a part in the story and thoughts of characters bordering on explicit at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Thing I Knew.

11/23/2011
17.0% "So far so good!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ananda I am reading it, and must say that whole Venus, Pluto traveling is just not my cup of tea.Hmmm, struggling here, but will try hard to finish it:)