Sulari Gentill's Reviews > The Year-God's Daughter

The Year-God's Daughter by Rebecca Lochlann

5672019
Jan 08, 12

In the interests of full disclosure, I read this novel as a manuscript. I was entranced then, and now that I hold the published book in my hands, I continue to be seduced by the vibrant, passionate world that Lochlann creates. The story is one of the grandest scale, encompassing generations and eras. But within that, Lochlann tells the small stories of sacrifice and folly, of passion and loyalty, all coloured from the rich pallette of history. Lochlann's research is only surpassed by her extraordinary vision of the time, the imaginings of the lives she has deftly woven into an epic tale.

Lochlann's characters truly live in the pages of this book. One can feel the fearful desperation of gentle Iphiboe, heir to the the throne of Crete, the dark and moving bond between the warrior prince and the king's bastard and the resentful longing of the virgin priestess. One can see Aridela, child of the gods, as she dances with bulls. The Year-god's Daughter is captivating - a beautifully written, mesmerising story that stays with you long after the book is closed.

Most highly recommended.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year-God's Daughter.