Koorihime-sama's Reviews > The Dowry Bride

The Dowry Bride by Shobhan Bantwal

May 24, 12

bookshelves: checked-out-from-library, paperback, re-read
Read from November 16 to 17, 2011

Checked out from the library.

Review/Rating:

3 out of 5

2ND REVIEW. 1ST REVIEW IS HERE.

Megha is a dowry bride in India. One day, she overhears her husband and mother-in-low talk about how to murder her. For fear of her life, she runs away to the only place where they won’t think to find her. Kiran helps hide her from his wicked relatives. However, when they begin to have feelings for each other, will bring doom to them?

My feelings are pretty much the same as when I first read it. However, the redundancy got on my nerves more this time than the first time. And the fact that I that I had endure all of that without detailed smut just made my mood worse. >.>”

Anyways, like mentioned before, there is a lot of redundancy. For the first part of the book, it was really boring and makes you wonder why she put it there. Then, it turns out the author just repeats that part later on in the story, with only a little bit more detail. Also, this book is very slow paced with a little too much description. I was struggling to read the whole book again. :( It takes almost 200 pages for them to do gushy romantic things. :(

Even there isn’t any detailed smut, there is several gushy, giddy puppy-love romance. I don’t like reading that much romance without any kind of smut, if I do, I will read young adult books for it. There is sex mentioned and one not very detailed smut scene between Kiran and Megha, but other than that, you will get filled with romance and love. :X So those of you expecting more smut than romance, you will be disappointed, though, the romantic parts are (kind of) nice. ;)

It is sort of exciting with the characters, descriptions, and climaxes, but this book is not something I would read more than twice. The ending is very disappointing. I wish there was more of a complete ending as to whether or not Megha and Kiran get married or not. The point of this book, to me, was to mostly show women’s independence and how women, like men, can grow whenever something terrible happens and still lead a successful life. It is a good book to encourage women to take a stand in things they know isn’t right for them or others, but as far as romance goes, it isn’t. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dowry Bride.

11/16/2011 page 100