Christy's Reviews > Blink and Caution

Blink and Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: teen-fiction, spring-2012-hs-booktalks
Read from November 16 to 18, 2011

At first the writing (2nd person narrative) was a bit jarring and I had to focus on the story. Blink did not appeal immediately and I wasn't really into the story. Then Caution was introduced and I was absorbed into the tale and began to enjoy myself.

The tale of two street youth, Blink and Caution, both on the streets for different reasons and then thrown together because of a series of a mystery that Blink (street name because he blinks so much)is trying to solve. While stealing food in a hotel lobby he hears a fight but sees the men walk away unharmed. He investigates the room and steals a blackberry and a wallet full of money. The next day on the news, the owner of both, is reported missing and then kidnapped. But Blink has seen the room and saw the man and things are not adding up.

Caution (another street name but i'm not giving away that spoiler here) is living with her abusive drug dealer boyfriend. She lives with him because she is punishing herself for something that has happened in her past. She is broken and feels worthless. My heart broke reading her tale.

Eventually both youth are on the run again and end up together.

The suspense was just right and I was pleased with the ending. Sometimes these types of stories are so heartbreaking that I can't enjoy them but this was different. The author drives the story with lots of suspense and it becomes a crime drama.

Told in alternating voices. Well done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink and Caution.