Kat's Reviews > Seed

Seed by Ania Ahlborn

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: horror
Read from November 20 to 22, 2011

It must be really difficult to write a horror story. After all, we are battered to the point of death with it in so many ways - movies, television, and books- that it’s easy to become a little immune and even a little cynical about the genre as a whole. A book must be so much more difficult – you don’t have any special effects, ghosties jumping out of the shadows in full surround sound in a dark movie theatre, or bimbos to shout ‘don’t go into the basement!’ at (and they are my favourite part!)

I love horror, but it’s been a long time since I read one that was truly spooky and made more than a passing impression on me. For that alone, Ms. Ahlborn is already ahead of the game.

I was sold right from the get-go – the fluid writing and vivid, but not overpowering, descriptions of the Deep South had me swatting imaginary mosquitoes and dreaming of fried chicken. The Winter’s are the average struggling-to-make-ends-meet family, which makes them all the more likable and believable – the kids are cute, Aimee is the loving mother and Jack is the father who just wants his family to be happy and safe while working hard to build a better life for his wife and kids.

It’s difficult to write a review without a spoiler, so all I will say is if you love horror buy this book. You just may want to consider carefully whether you read it alone in the dark!

(And finally, it’s no wonder this book was right up there for Goodreads Choice Awards for horror!)
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seed.