Katie's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Nov 16, 2011

it was ok
Read in November, 2011

Note that my review includes SPOILERS! I didn't dislike this book, but I'm not ranking it higher because I feel like I got the entire concept by just reading the book reviews. There were some things I liked about it - I thought the writing was good (despite being written in the voice of the 5-year-old, which I was convinced was going to irritate the hell out of me and actually didn't), I liked the character of the mother and the creative things she did to make the kid's life as rich as possible, and I really, really appreciated that the escape from the room happened halfway through the book and not at the end. I was dreading having to suffer through being stuck along with them in the room the entire time, but I liked that half the book was them adjusting to life outside the room.

However, as I mentioned above I don't think I really got anything new or interesting out of this book beyond what book reviews discussed. Yes, the kid was stuck in the room and that was his whole world - I already knew that from the reviews. I already knew how the woman got stuck there and that there was a captor keeping her there, and that the room was tiny and this kid's whole world. So what did I need to read the book for...? I don't know - some of the "adjustment to the real world" part was interesting, I must admit; you WOULD totally think that the outside was outer space, and that people on TV were not real people. So the book did contain some "food for thought" stuff that was semi-interesting. However, the difficulties adjusting to the world outside and the predictable mother's suicide attempt was just that - predictable.

So, all in all this book had its strengths, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone who's not particularly interested in childhood development.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.