Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)'s Reviews > The Summer My Life Began

The Summer My Life Began by Shannon Greenland

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: for-review, young-adult, arc
Read from February 04 to 18, 2012

Elizabeth Margaret, or Em, has grown up in a wealthy Boston household where her entire life has been mapped out for her by her parents and grandmother. She will attend Harvard in the fall, study law, and intern at a law firm this summer. Except.... Em doesn't want to do any of it! Things change quickly when her long lost aunt sends her an invitation to say with her for a month at her bed and breakfast at the Outer Banks. Em takes this opportunity and ultimately finds "herself" on this trip. She pursues her lifelong dream to become a chef, she learns life-altering family secrets, and more importantly, comes out of her shell. The Summer My Life Began is a fun contemporary read that is about letting go of people's expectations for your life and instead, following your heart.

Em is a sheltered upcoming college freshman. She really hasn't "lived" at all, because she is too busy taking orders from her family. When she lives with her Aunt Tilly this all changes and Em starts to live for herself. Her Aunt Tilly is a fun character. She's free spirited and pretty much the opposite of her mother. While staying with Tilly, she learns why Tilly is the "black sheep" of the family and other secrets that will unravel her world. Lastly, Em also meets Cade, the dreamy surfer that works at her aunt's bed and breakfast. There is more than meets the eye with Cade and he ended up being one of my favorite characters. It wouldn't be summer without a fun love interest!

The setting of the Outer Banks is perfect for this summer story. Personally, I love the Outer Banks and was marinating in all of the descriptions. It had me pining for a warm summer breeze and beautiful blue skies. I'll be interested to see which island served as inspiration for the setting in The Summer My Life Began.

My only issue with this book was the relationships. Although I really enjoyed them, I felt they were lacking at times, especially the dialogue. I knew there were many strong connections between the characters, but at times, I couldn't feel it. On the other hand, I'm sure my seventh graders will love this story and I plan on putting it on my classroom bookshelf---just in time for summer vacation! So, if you are looking for a light and fluffy beach read, be sure to check out The Summer My Life Began.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer My Life Began.

02/14/2012 page 50