Meg ♥'s Reviews > Amaranth

Amaranth by Rachael Wade

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: e-books, cover-lover, review-copies, z-2012-reads
Read from January 02 to 04, 2012

I received this book to review for the ReadIt&Reap program in the ShutUp&Read group. Thanks to the mods and the author for providing this book for us to read.

Every time I start a new book/series that involves vampires I worry that I'm about to waste time reading the same story I've read so many times before. I love vampire stories, but they need to bring something fresh to the table, and be somewhat original for me to actually enjoy them. This book did that.

The first few pages of this book I struggled with. It quickly seemed like a story that I felt disinterested in, because it was the typical boy meets girl story. In a matter of two days the main characters become obsessed in love with each other, and I almost stopped right there. I kept reading because Camille was a genuinely interesting character, in my opinion. She has been abused, betrayed, abandoned, and more by people she loved and trusted. She was a broken woman, fleeing her problems, and just trying to get away from it all to live a normal life. Quite a relatable scenario in the sense that most woman don't actually flee the country to get away from our problems, but sometimes we would like to!

This author definitely has skills in character development. At first, we are introduced to this fragile, damaged woman, and after she finds out about the vampires she transforms into a sarcastic, more confident person. That's also right after her ex just tried to kill her in her sleep! She's still drawn and attracted to Gavin, but this time she's not just jumping into things so quickly. She demands answers. Gavin was okay as a character. I didn't love him or hate him. He was just nothing special in comparison to all of the men I read about each day. Audrey and Gabe were great. I really liked them.

The plot itself did go beyond expectations, and I was happy for that. Introducing real issues such as physical and emotional abuse to readers who may or may not know how that feels can be tough. I feel the author did a superb job with this. The adventure of going through Samira to enter Amaranth was exciting. (view spoiler)

It a nutshell this is a pretty short, fast paced paranormal story that does keep you interested until the very end. It starts off rocky, but finds it's footing rather quickly. By the end of this book you will really want to know what's going to happen next. Very entertaining, enjoyable read, that I would recommend to all paranormal fans of any age. The quality of writing is high A wonderful start to an exciting series I look forward to continuing.

3.5 stars.

This is just a side note, but I love that Breaking Benjamin was mentioned. Loveeee them! One more sidenote: the cover is gorgeous!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amaranth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy great review I need to move this up my TRP. I am always looking for a good vampire story:D

Meg ♥ Thanks, if you get this I hope you like it. :-)

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Me too. I have heard lots of good about it so far:)

message 4: by Heaven (new) - added it