Jessica's Reviews > The Space Between Us

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: india, servants, friendship, social, class
Read in May, 2009

The Space Between Us is a story set in India. It focuses on two women living their lives through heartbreaking betrayal, tragedy, death and overwhelming joy. Bhima is an old, sad, uneducated woman who resides in the slums and works for a rich family. Serabai is Bhima's mistress. She lives a life that Bhima is jealous of. She has education, riches and power. Throughout the years of working for Serabai, Bhima and she have become close and even friendly despite their employer/employee status. Through the most unlikely of friendships they take care of each other and have a connection that is as fascinating to the two women as it is to the reader. We also meet Maya, Bhima's granddaughter and only remaining family member. And Dinaz who is Serabai's only daughter. We learn about the history of Bhima's joyous marriage which is contrasted by the monster of a man that Serabai took as a husband. Through these and other life stories, we see that two women who are so different are so very similar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Us.