Margaret Sullivan's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

Nov 16, 11

Read on November 16, 2011

I enjoyed this quite a bit, as I've enjoyed most of Grisham's books. I was trying to think of the right metaphor. I definitely bought and read this as a "comfort" book during a tough stretch of time, so first I thought of a big box of chocolate or something, but it's not so much empty calories as that. So let's say a big warm afghan and a hot cup of tea on a chilly night: comforting and not at all bad for you.

And yes, it's comfort reading for me, and follows the typical Grisham story--street lawyers vs. Big Pharma in a products liability suit.* But it's not quite the typical Grisham story of The Rainmaker where it's kind of black and white who is right and who is wrong. It's really a pretty knowledgeable but typical story of a tort case in which greed and the expectation of a big payday play their parts, and in which all involved are very human and flawed. It shows how the tort system can work to help people who need and deserve that help, and how it can richochet back upon the greedy. There are some absolutes and stereotypes, as typical for a Grisham novel, but also as is typical, it was a page-turner and pretty funny in parts. (The episode in which David Zinc convinces his new partners that he might be valuable to have around is just hilarious.)

*Disclaimer: I work in the marketing department of a law firm. I am not a lawyer, but can sling around legal-sounding language pretty well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.