Chance Lee's Reviews > Blast from the Past

Blast from the Past by Toni L.P. Kelner

Nov 21, 11

Read from November 16 to 21, 2011

I liked this one, even if it was a little different than the other two. Tilda spends the majority of the book on-location with a film crew on Cape Cod instead of bouncing between her apartment and the Entertain Me! offices. She's working on a story about Pharos, an upcoming blockbuster film adaptation of a popular cult comic book. Oh yeah, she also has to track down the writer/artist of the comic, who hasn't been heard from since it was canceled. All in a day's work!

Pharos, both the comic and the movie based on it, is really neat. The other fictional creations from previous books, Kissing Cousins and Cowtown, were just as well realized, but had a certain cheeseball factor to them. This allowed for plenty of jokey material, and it was a lot of fun. Pharos, on the other hand, could be a truly awesome comic book. I can picture the lighthouse and the mermaid Melusine and everything. I loved all the scenarios in this comic-within-a-book. By the end it felt like it was a real comic I had read.

Tilda does some of her best investigative work in this book. I love watching her work. I've always enjoyed watching her process of elimination, especially when it comes to Internet nutcases. This time she interviews a variety of interesting folk in the movie and comic businesses. It was fun to get a behind-the-scenes look at these two industries, which I am not really familiar with. All of this would have been compelling enough, but then there's a hit-and-run murder mystery to solve to build tension even more.

I felt Tilda grew a bit in this book. She decides not to gossip about an actor's shortcomings and almost comes to love her current bad roommate's menagerie of animals. I was a little disappointed that I only got to see Cooper a couple times in this one. And simply via telephone, no less! He was in the last book a lot though, so I'll survive. And a part of me also missed Tilda and Nicole's bitchy repartee. But this fun detour was a great way to keep things fresh and me craving more. Can't wait for the next book in this fun series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blast from the Past.

11/20/2011 page 87
29.0% "and the phrase "nacho-induced camaraderie" made me LOL. And hungry for nachos."