Lynn's Reviews > Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970

Fire and Rain by David Browne

203227
Nov 16, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2011

For those of us who came of age in the years around 1970, I issue you a challenge: Just try to read this without a mental soundtrack going the whole time - just try. There was a time in my life where "The Music" was arguably the most important thing in the lives of those in my social circle. Was Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton the best guitarist to ever live? What was the secret message of the White album? Whose message best fit the music and the times? We spent more hours than I care to think about debating these and other vastly important musical issues -when we weren't bad-mouthing Nixon, marching for peace or deploring The Man, of course. David Browne writes about the year and some of the most important players of the times, to wit: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Beatles, James Taylor and Simon and Garfunkel. Others bands, like Led Zepplin, Grateful Dead and Cream, to name a few make, cameo appearances as well. The style is both gossipy and informative, an insider's look at what was really going on behind the scenes. It is obvious that Browne loves the music, is impressed by, understands, and accepts the artists and their foibles. It's a fun read for anyone who enjoyed the music then and recalls it fondly still. Now if I could only get those guys out of my head. It's embarrassing to be humming oldies (or should I say "classics"in public!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire and Rain.

message 1: by Rick (new) - added it

Rick Lynn, you nailed it! I haven't even opened the book yet and the soundtrack has already started.

Lynn Rick wrote: "Lynn, you nailed it! I haven't even opened the book yet and the soundtrack has already started."

Thanks for the laugh!