Stefanie's Reviews > Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland

Queen Hereafter by Susan Fraser King

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from December 15 to 19, 2011

I won my copy of Queen Hereafter from GoodReads FirstReads, and I was so excited but then when I started to read my excitement faded. I really wanted to like this book but it read like a dreaded doctors appointment! I just felt no connection to the characters or the storyline, and the story itself dragged a lot. When I read a book I'm not enjoying I get a sick feeling like I'm coming down with the flu, and that's how I felt while reading this. It was a headache to keep all the characters straight, and I kept mixing up who was who, and some of the names were impossible to pronounce and there was no explanation how to say them which to me is not good writing. I wanted so much for Queen Hereafter to be like the first book I ever won, The Second Duchess which was fantastic! There was mystery and suspense in The Second Duchess, and I'd hoped there would be some in Queen Hereafter, but sadly no, there was only boring court talk, spoiled brat royals complaining about Scottish customs and just about everything else, and constant talk of invasions that were less than interesting. I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy Queen Hereafter, maybe one day I'll pick it up again and give it another try, just not soon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Hereafter.