Bonnie Lamer's Reviews > The Witching Pen

The Witching Pen by Dianna Hardy

5020171
Nov 16, 11

Read in November, 2011

Elena is a powerful witch, but no one can know that. She hides her power behind new age mysticism and Wiccan ceremonies. The only one besides her mother who knows her secret is her best friend Karl. Karl has loved Elena since they were children, but Elena has always kept him, and everyone else, at arm’s length when it came to romantic relationships. The talk her mother had with her when she was a teenager made it impossible for her to have a normal relationship. But, Karl keeps hoping.
Lies and secrets abound in Dianna Hardy’s novella, The Witching Pen. Elena discovers there’s a lot more to her than she was ever told. With demons trying to seduce her in her sleep and her suppressed feelings for Karl trying to surface, she doesn’t know how to stop her world from crumbling around her. She learns that with great power, there is often great pain. As the story goes on, she suffers losses that may just push her into embracing everything she can become – the good and the bad. Are love and good friends enough to save her?
The Witching Pen is a paranormal romance that packs a lot of action in its pages. Readers enter a world with a pen that can write the future, demons who want to destroy the world, dark skeletons in family closets, and the power of love and magic done for the greater good. While the story is focused on Elena’s relationship with Karl, other characters also seek to discover who they are and who they can be; some learning that love can come in many different packages. Dianna Hardy has woven a tale of passion and intrigue that brings the reader on a magical journey that can’t be put down until the very end.
The Witching Pen is a novella that could easily be turned into a novel with all the intricate details of the main character’s, as well as several supporting character’s, past and heritage. The difficulty with writing a novella is deciding what to include and what can be left out. In this particular case, I would have loved to read more about the characters. The novella is excellently written. The main characters are well developed, all be it with secret pasts. But, I craved more without having to wait to read the sequel. There were a lot of questions left in my mind at the end. Since I enjoyed the novella so much, I guess I will just have to read the sequel to find out more about where Dianna Hardy brings her characters next. I thank the author for providing me with a review copy and I give the novella four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witching Pen.