Courtney (Fuzzy.Coffee.Books)'s Reviews > Beautiful Redemption

Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia

Nov 15, 12

bookshelves: wow, released
Read on October 24, 2012

What I Liked: 1) Thank you, thank you, thank you for answering a burning question I've had ever since the beginning. What Is Lena's Real Name? For those of you who've been following along and are curious, yes, this question is answered in Beautiful Redemption. 2) The beginning. I was surprised at the beginning, which is something that almost never happens. I think the optimist in me expected something different, even knowing what happened at the end of Beautiful Chaos. So the fact that I was surprised was good. 3) Some characters that I thought we'd never meet. There were some people who've played a pretty significant role in the story who we never actually met, and they made an appearance. One in particular I was very glad was included in the conclusion to Ethan and Lena's story. 4) Happy Endings. I feel confident that I can say that without really giving anything away, because there are so many characters and so many relationships that who knows what I'm really talking about.

What I Didn't Like: Was anyone else as disappointed in this one as I was? I felt like there was a huge build up with the first three books to something completely epic and spellbinding the happen in Beautiful Redemption. But in my opinion, everything about the story changed. Remember those games you played in pre-school, where you would have four items and you had to choose which one didn't belong? That's how Beautiful Redemption was. It didn't fit with the other three books. The settings were...strange, like being dropped in Wonderland after spending the rest of the books in Gatlin. And everyone's personality just seemed a little dulled after the events of the last book.

Overall Thoughts: I love this series, and will probably keep reading and listening to these audiobooks for a long time. I was satisfied with the ending that concluded this long story, but I was very disappointed in the journey we took to get there in Beautiful Redemption. I felt many of the things I have loved about this series were missing in Beautiful Redemption, almost like the book was just churned out in an effort to meet deadlines instead of taking the time to really hold true to these characters. Don't get me wrong, I think these authors are incredible and will jump in to anything else they write with a lot of excitement. But BR just didn't do the rest of the series justice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Redemption.