Ann's Reviews > George Washington Carver

George Washington Carver by Tonya Bolden

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: based-on-a-true-story, biographies-memoirs, gardening, inventors, illustrated, middle-grade, non-fiction, photograph-illustrations, photographs, picture-books
Read from November 13 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

This book contains a lot of data about George Washington Carver, spanning his entire life. The book is stuffed full of pictures, artwork (some by Carver himself) and dates and names of the schools he attended, the people he corresponded with, and the places he worked. All this data is definitely five star worthy.

Unfortunately for me though, a good portion of the book felt more like that's ALL it was: a collection of facts. I found it very difficult to find a flow and instead of growing more interested found myself growing more bored as I found it too hard to follow exactly what was propelling Carver to make the decisions he was. Also, within all the facts the author of the book (Tonya Bolden) would every so often insert, what was apparently, conjecture about Carver's decisions, instead of quoting a letter he'd written or something of the like. So, in that regard the book felt very unbalanced and more of a three star book.

So, I've settled on four stars (and I see I'm in the minority and many people loved this book much more than I did, so perhaps I was just in the wrong frame of mind when I read it).

It's definitely a higher grade-level picture book as not all the terms and data are explained.

Carver sounded like an incredibly interesting and inspirational person. I was captivated by his words and inspired by his dedication. Overall, I would have loved more insight into the man and his own words, but until I can find that this book did provide a thorough introduction into his life and made me curious to learn more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George Washington Carver.

Kathryn A well-balanced review, Ann. I was actually expecting three stars based on what you told me earlier, haha! ;-) I'm glad the primary source material bumped it up for you. And, I do see your points. I think I was probably just so impressed with Carver himself that some of that spilled over for me and made the book better than I might have otherwise found it.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Well, I was thinking about three stars... but, it was obviously well researched so, I had to give points for that. And yeah, I think the things that I did like a lot were because I liked Carver. But, at least the book made that come through :)