Electric Landlady's Reviews > All Clear

All Clear by Connie Willis

Nov 16, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: england, library, time-travel, wwii
Read from November 16 to 19, 2011

I wanted to like this more than I actually did. This duology definitely could have been cut down to one book, and some of Willis's characteristic tropes become grating at this length. In Bellwether, constant interruptions and characters being unable to finish a thought are thematic. In To Say Nothing of the Dog, the time pressure that renders characters unable to communicate is externally imposed (by Lady Schrapnell and her cathedral project) and a source of comedy. Here, all these things just make me want to grab the characters by the shoulders and scream "Focus!" It's a shame, because in spots this book was very good indeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Clear.

11/16/2011 page 304
47.0% "I love Connie Willis, but I am finding her typical pattern of missed connections and nobody ever being allowed to finish a conversation or a thought without being derailed a bit of a strain, especially when spread over 2 books."

Jenn I love, love, love Connie Willis and was so excited for a 2-part book, because, well, MORE TO READ! But, yeah, while I liked them, I don't think they were as good as she normally is.

Electric Landlady Jenn wrote: "I love, love, love Connie Willis and was so excited for a 2-part book, because, well, MORE TO READ! But, yeah, while I liked them, I don't think they were as good as she normally is."

Alas. Normally I love her too! (Although more in comedy mode than in tragedy mode. Am permanently scarred by Doomsday Book and Lincoln's Dreams.) But it's nearly time to start rereading Miracle and Other Christmas Stories so all will be well again.

Jenn Doomsday Book is the first thing of hers I read, so it remains, strangely, one of my comfort books!

Yay for the Christmas stories - love that collection!