Nicole's Reviews > The Hunger Games

F 50x66
May 17, 12

bookshelves: dystopias
Read from November 15 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

Picked this up yesterday as an ebook to see what all the fuss was about. I thought the film trailer looked rather intriguing, so I figured I'd give this a read. I couldn't put it down. I started this around 10 p.m. and couldn't put it down until I was finished. This is YA fiction done oh-so-very-right.

It's incredibly well-paced and quite thoughtful. The world Collins creates is quite vivid, and Katniss makes an interesting - and flawed - heroine. Her imperfections make her far more compelling than your average swoony/mopey/emo YA heroine of the moment. She's gritty and guarded, but still infinitely relatable.

I imagine that the target audience will also find the political intrigues of the work fascinating on both a social and personal level. It's about establishing identity in the face of hostile circumstances, and surviving by any means necessary. Just a really fantastic book which I will heartily recommend to all the preteens in my life when they get slightly older, as well as adults who enjoy a clever and well-paced book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.