Connie's Reviews > Bridge of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance, spring-2012, california, war, world-war-two
Read from April 02 to 10, 2012

In 1941, Maddie Kern fell in love with her brother's best friend, Lane Moritomo. Lane was a talented Japanese-American whose parents want to force him to marry a Japanese woman in a traditional arranged marriage. To prevent this, Maddie and Lane elope, and Pearl Harbor gets bombed by the Japanese the next day. The Moritomo family in California are considered to be the Japanese enemy by the United States government. Lane is brought to an internment camp with his mother and sister, and Maddie insisted on following him there. To prove his allegience to the United States, Lane joins the Army as a Nisei translator.

The book follows Lane, Maddie, and both families through the war years. Except for Maddie's brother who seems to be overly hotheaded, the characters are believable. They face both emotional and military challenges, and must make difficult choices. In addition to being a love story, it is also packed with history about the plight of the Japanese-Americans, and the World War II POWs in the Pacific. The author, who also is Japanese-American, has included some Japanese poetry between sections, and some Asian fusion recipes at the end of the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge of Scarlet Leaves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo I have this on my TBR shelf. Is it good? Do I have to read her 1st book first?

Connie They are separate books with different characters. I'm just starting it now, but I've heard it's very good.