Kristen (Peddler of Smut)'s Reviews > Fifty Shades Freed

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

This is a review for the overall story—all three books

1st book - 5 stars Loved it!
2nd book - 4 stars Liked it a lot!
3rd book - 1 1/2 to 2 stars Huge disappointment. Big old mess!

I read the online version of this story. I loved it until the story "jumped shark" (went down hill) in what will be the third book. I can only hope the author takes the time to make some huge plot changes and releases a better third book than what she produced for her online version. It was such a disappointment to what could have been a fantastic romance! It did have a fabulous epilogue. I'll give it that.

January 20, 2012 update: Like many readers, I have waited with anticipation for the release of the third book in the Fifty Shades trilogy. Now that it has arrived and the weaknesses in the plot and editing were not addressed as I had hoped, I find myself disappointed and surprised. What a shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Freed.

Comments (showing 26-75)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) "Jumped shark." I will not ask Kristen for spoilers. I will not Kristen for spoilers.

message 74: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Nov 18, 2011 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Lol. Very temping for both of us, but wouldn't be fair to the author to give out spoilers before the book is finished. However, there are plenty of online copies float around (hint hint)! I really hope the author does some major editing to the third book. She was rushed to finish the story for her online readers before the release of the first book in this trilogy. The last portion of the story was inconsistent, over the top, ridiculous, and badly executed. It's taken her longer to release the last book and, hopefully, that mean she's making the necessary changes, that many of the online readers hoped for.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I'm crossing my fingers!

Sandra me, three, though I don't have high hopes considering that the first two books were pretty much exactly the same as the online version with only names and minor details changed.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) True. I guess we'll see. I'm really curious.

message 69: by Jollibee (new)

Jollibee Rusia where can I read the online version? please please tell me..

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'm not sure. The online version was pulled. I just know there are copies floating around. Sorry I can't help you.

message 67: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Christian doesn't die does he? I couldn't bear it... (sorry for the question but I'm going out of my mind here after reading the blurb)

message 65: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Kristen wrote: "Heaven's no."

Thank you so much! Now I will actually be able to sleep until January 19th.

Mary Kristen wrote: "The last portion of the story was inconsistent, over the top, ridiculous, and badly executed. It's taken her longer to release the last book and, hopefully, that means she's making the necessary changes, that many of the online readers hoped for"

Agreed. I've read the online version, even the epilog and I don't really like the last part of the series either. Hope for HUGE changes on the 3rd book.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Mary wrote: "Kristen wrote: "The last portion of the story was inconsistent, over the top, ridiculous, and badly executed. It's taken her longer to release the last book and, hopefully, that means she's making ..."

It looks like some people received an early copy and from what I can tell from the reviews, the plot seems the same. Oh well. At least, I didn't pay money to read this story.

Mary I'll wait for any good news on the 3rd book before decide to buy it also :D

message 60: by Jill (new)

Jill Ouch! Seems a little unprofessional as you say Kristen.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jill wrote: "Ouch! Seems a little unprofessional as you say Kristen."

I'm very very disappointed. She had over 6 months to edit this book and did nothing different. It's sad really. I still love 50 but what a HUGE let down!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I haven't even finished the first book...definitely not my cuppa, Kristen.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Baba wrote: "I haven't even finished the first book...definitely not my cuppa, Kristen."

If you hated the first book enough not to finish, you would despise this book. It's one big train wreck.

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Kristen - this is about the last line of your review. I wonder if she has anything left in the tank after this, or if she'll come up with more of exactly the same. I know you've said you don't plan to read anything else, but what do you think? Is she just a one-off?

message 55: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 22, 2012 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Tammy wrote: "Hi Kristen - this is about the last line of your review. I wonder if she has anything left in the tank after this, or if she'll come up with more of exactly the same. I know you've said you don't..."

Hum... that's a great question. I'm not sure. It's hard to know if her other books would be like this series or not because she has only written Twilight Fanfiction. She borrowed off of Stephanie Meyer in the first place. Fifty is original, that is for sure, there isn't an ounce of Twilight in his character; but, all the other characters in this story are borrowed from other Twilight characters. They aren't fully her own creation, so I'm not sure how she'd do writing something completely original. The fact she did nothing to improve her story before it was published says, to me, that she isn't a great storyteller or someone to be trusted to produce high quality work. Does that make sense?

Catherine Tammy wrote: "Hi Kristen - this is about the last line of your review. I wonder if she has anything left in the tank after this, or if she'll come up with more of exactly the same. I know you've said you don't..."

I'm curious about that too. I wonder what we'll see from her next.

Tammy Walton Grant Makes complete sense.

The fact she did nothing to improve her story before it was published...

The whole thing is kind of a curious phenomenon - the sheer bulk of the "trilogy" (somewhere there's an editor who missed out on a year's worth of work), the small publishing house, the price of the books, the hype, OMG the hype.

I'm vaguely curious, but not really optimistic.

Sandra She had written an additional FF prior to yanking it all. It was called Safe Haven, also all human. I'm sure copies of this one can also be found floating around the web. In this one, Edward was a movie star who's hunkering down in a hotel and getting involved with one of the maids who turns out not to be a maid at all, but someone in witness protection. Perhaps we will see that one next.

Tammy Walton Grant Wonder if this is the 'romantic thriller with a supernatural twist' her blurb tells us she's working on.

message 50: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 22, 2012 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Tammy wrote: "Wonder if this is the 'romantic thriller with a supernatural twist' her blurb tells us she's working on."

It could be but I don't know. I didn't know she had another fanfic story.

KatLynne Liked your review Kristen. I loved the first two books. After reading Tammy's review I have decided to not get this one. I had such high hopes:-)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) KatLynne wrote: "Liked your review Kristen. I loved the first two books. After reading Tammy's review I have decided to not get this one. I had such high hopes:-)"

KatLynne, you might want to give the book a try, you may like it. Plus, you you won't be expecting as much from it, so it won't be such a disappointment. Also, the book has one of the best epilogues I've ever read. If you really hate the book you can always return it to Amazon. You have 7 days to return for a full refund.

I would have given this book 3 stars if it wasn't for the fact I read it online (like my review said) and expected there to be a lot more editing. Had I not read it before, my feelings would have matched Tammy's.

KatLynne Thanks Kristen. I so loved the first two books in this series and I've heard the epilogue is very good. I may pick this one up later but for now I'm content with the Christian I remember:-)

Thanks for the info on Amazon returns. I did not know you could return an ebook!

message 46: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Kristen, I placed my question to you under book 1 and I think I should have placed it here instead. Would you mind telling me what happens in book 3? (I’m currently in the middle of book 2). Are they together, married, broken up, did he change? those kinds of things. Please don’t worry about SPOILERS. In this case I want to know the spoilers before buying. Just label it spoilers so other readers won’t be affected. Or if you want, send me a message to keep it away from others. Thank you, I’d so much appreciate it.

message 45: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 28, 2012 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Sure thing, Jane. Here are two great review about the third book.

This is a quick overview. It's a MAJOR spoiler so don't read if you don't want to know the whole overall plot.

(view spoiler)

You can buy any Kindle book from Amazon and if you don't like the book, you have 7 days to return the book for a full refund.

How to return any Kindle book within 7 days of purchase for full refund:

• Go to "your account"
• then "manage your kindle"
• you should now be on "your kindle library" page
• click the "Action" button next to book you want to return.
If it's under 7 days it will give you the option to return the book for a full refund.

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

KatLynne Kristen wrote: "Sure thing, Jane. Here are two great review about the third book.

This is a quick overview. It's a ..."

Kristen - Thank you for this quick overview. Since I've decided to skip (for now) the 3rd book this helped catch me up...:-)

Tammy Walton Grant Kristen, you linked me!!! Thank you!! (blushes)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) KatLynne wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Sure thing, Jane. Here are two great review about the third book.

This is a q..."

Glad to help, KatLynne. I sent Jane the epilogue. I changed all the names and added all the parts that weren't in the online version. It reads exactly like the book. Well, I didn't correct spelling or grammar errors and it's still in the online format, but it's the exact same epilogue. If you want me to send it to you I will. Honestly, the epilogue should have been at the end of book two. Message me and let me know if you want to read it. Just give me your email and I'll send it to you.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Tammy wrote: "Kristen, you linked me!!! Thank you!! (blushes)"

You're welcome! You gave a good, honest review and I think people could benifit from read it. :D

Tammy Walton Grant I felt the same way about yours -- thanks again!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Nice and honest review, Kristen. You already know how I feel. At least you liked the epilogue. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Nice and honest review, Kristen. You already know how I feel. At least you liked the epilogue. :)"

Yes, I do know how you felt about the book! At least you didn't have to pay for the book. Did you like the epilogue? I can't remember.

Taryn at My Secret Romance I did like the epilogue...but it doesn't make up for the whole book.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I did like the epilogue...but it doesn't make up for the whole book."

Soooo true! It should have been include at the end of book two. That's where the story should have ended.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Oh yes, I agree.

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Kristen wrote: "Sure thing, Jane. Here are two great review about the third book."

Kristen,
I have another question. How do you add a “link” inside your comment? (Your message 31.) I want to link to you when I get to my review of this. I looked at the source code which is not helpful. It shows the review number 233853292 typed 3 times. I figure you must know a trick. Would you mind educating me? Thank you again.

message 32: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Jan 29, 2012 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) @Jane Sure. It's easy. You need to go to the actual review, first.
Then just copy the page URL and past it in the comment box. That's all you have to do. Goodreads automatically creates the link.

Example: This is Taryn's review. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

There is a way to show the members name in place of the actual URL, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'll play around and see if I cant figure it out. I'll let you know if I do.

Hope this helped and made sense.

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Ok, here is my practice one. I hope it works.

I had to go to your profile, then your reviews, etc to get to this URL. I couldn't get it when I was on the book page and scrolled down to your review there. Is that how you do it?

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jane wrote: "Ok, here is my practice one. I hope it works.

Yep. It work! Yes. That's how I did it.

message 29: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Kristen wrote: "Yep..."

OH! Yay! It worked! My my, what I learn from friends. You are so smart. Thank you again :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jane. I think you can just copy the URL on the book page for anyone else's review. I think you had to go to my reviews because we're already on my review, if that makes sense. Try someone else's review from the book page.

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Ok here's another. I clicked the words "see review" under one of the reviews.

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Hope you don't mind, I keep using you for practice. I like this clicking "see review." It seems to work.

« previous 1