Rachael Wade's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 07 to 22, 2011

“I can only form one clear thought.

This is no place for a girl on fire.”

Wow. Wow. Wow. Where do I begin? I actually enjoyed this installment much more than the first and that shocks me because for the first few chapters, I really couldn't get into it. Slowly but surely, though, the storyline became more emotionally charged and so gripping that I could not stop reading. I cared so much about these characters and was desperate to know where the whole plot was headed.

Something I love about this series is that just when you think you know where it might be going, something happens and throws you off. It's all so fast paced and riveting that your fingers have to keep up with your brain to flip the pages. I'm not sure what to say about Suzanne Collins's writing other than it is expertly crafted and simply brilliant. This woman knows how to weave a story together and keep you on the edge of your seat. I am absolutely Team Peeta but my heart breaks for Gale, and Katniss is such a strong, fantastic female lead. I want to see them all have their happily ever after and literally want to jump through the pages and take a bullet for them.

“We star-crossed lovers of District 12, who suffered so much and enjoyed so little the rewards of our victory, do not seek our fans' favor, grace them with our smiles, or catch their kisses. We are unforgiving. And I love it. Getting to be myself at last.”

What stood out for me with this book was the sense of urgency. The feeling that you should never underestimate the human spirit and the will to live, especially when alliances are formed. As the characters navigate this depressing, dystopian minefield, they accept their fate and make plans to die in the noblest way possible; according to their circumstances and the cards they are dealt. Yet as events unfold, they are forced to regroup and reprioritize, and it's in those moments that you see their character, their innate goodness shine.

I could ramble on about this, but I'll refrain. I'll just say that this was amazing. Something tells me I need to save my strength for writing my thoughts on Mockingjay, which I'm moving on to next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

12/11/2011
12/17/2011
35.0% "Slowly but surely making my way through this one..." 3 comments
12/18/2011
55.0% "Crap. I'm equally in love with Peeta and Gale. What a beautiful, frustrating love triangle."
12/21/2011
80.0% "So hard to put down!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Monica The Last one will blow you away! I loved all these books but i guess im easy to please :)

message 2: by Rachael (last edited Dec 22, 2011 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael Wade Monica wrote: "The Last one will blow you away! I loved all these books but i guess im easy to please :)"

I am excited to read the final book but I'm going to read a few others before I dig in. I loved the first one too, but this one really blew me away! :D

Susan Griscom I couldn't read anything in between. But that's what happens to me when I read a series and if I get to them after they have been out for a while. I get completely sucked in.