Afua's Reviews > Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War

Mighty Be Our Powers by Leymah Gbowee

F 50x66
Feb 13, 2012

bookshelves: saving-the-world, christianity, leadership
Read in January, 2012

This book about a leader of a peace movement is one of the best I've read. Instead of just touting the movement's successes, while minimizing its failures, Leymah Gbowee highlights the movement's faults and difficulties. She goes further, not restricting the book to the movement, but also providing readers insight into her life. At one point she shares how she resisted the call to lead this movement: she openly wondered why God called her, a woman living with a not-officially-divorced man who was not her husband, to lead a movement driven by prayer and fasting.

Mighty Be Our Powers moved me on multiple levels. First, I'm in awe of women who can endure such struggles and still maintain hope and drive. Secondly, my respect for this movement and my distaste for the previous Liberian government has simultaneously increased. Most importantly, however, my faith increased. Through Leymah's story, I see in a new, applicable way, how God sees in you what He needs of you, not the limitations you see in yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mighty Be Our Powers.