Brenda Clough's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Dec 10, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from November 15, 2011 to December 10, 2012

Alas! Although I have begun this book I may not be able to finish it. Through no fault of the author or the writing! The fact is that my vision is increasingly impaired. What dolt over at the publisher selected cream-colored paper, and brown ink for the imprint?!? It is just at the verge of readability for me, even under bright lighting, and is rapidly becoming insurmountable. Perhaps another edition is printed on WHITE paper with the darkest possible ink?!? Or a large-print edition; surely they would not have selected such a horrible design for the large-print edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel Brenda, this is worth mentioning to the publisher. I would have trouble with that print, also. They may have been thinking about making the text "period" forgetting that the ink would have faded to brown, not been brown originally. Even regular black print on white has become a problem for me under yellowish light at night.

message 2: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Clough The other idea is to buy an ebook reader. If I pumped the font up to 16 point that would do it.

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel That would be more fun, of course. Why not do both?

Brenda wrote: "The other idea is to buy an ebook reader. If I pumped the font up to 16 point that would do it."

message 4: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Clough I am trying to decide which e reader to buy! Word on the street is that the Ipad 3 will be out soon...

message 5: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel OoOO... Pricy but fun to have. I do have a friend who likes his Kindle, but he has a Kindle app on his Ipad and prefers reading on it.

And hardbacks have always been more comfortable reading than paperbacks, so this size preference isn't surprising.

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve Poling Good thing about e-readers is that every book can be a large-print edition. I recommend buying 2 e-readers, one using e-ink technology for direct sunlight reading, and another using back-lit LCD display for in-bed reading. With e-ink (Kindle DX), you blast the it with stronger light and it just gets easier to read. With LCD (Nook color, Kindle Fire, TouchPad or iPad), you can read in bed without disturbing your spouse.

Since you suffer from impaired vision, get the larger-screen readers: iPad & Kindle DX.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I recommend playing with a couple of e-readers before making a purchase decision. I absolutely love my dedicated e-reader because of the crisp clarity of the e-ink. A backlit reader might be more or less readable to you in particular depending on what works best for your eyes.

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary Foss Sorry to hear about your vision.... I'm going to have to get my peepers checked out sooner or later.... Time is a cruel mistress.

I couldn't get into this one. I found the intro confusing.

message 9: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Clough I am now the proud possessor of an Ipad. Reading comics on this thing is SO AMAZING, you have no idea. You can dive right in and see each pen stroke! Have not yet picked up BONESHAKER in eformat, some day maybe.