Justine's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires

Vampire Academy is the first novel in the series of the same name by author Richelle Mead.

Mead has done a great job with the characters. In Mead’s world there are good vampires and evil vampires and a race of half-human, half-vampire.

The character Rose is everything you could want in a heroine. She is strong, independent and fights for what she believes in. A characteristic that always lands her in the thick of things. She is loyal to Lissa to a fault and at times that bothered me.

Lissa is Rose’s best friend, and has a calming effect on Roses craziness. My one dislike of Lissa in this book is her dependence on Rose. She has a tendency to need a lot of caring for.

Dimitri is another example. He is strong, fearless and ultra-sexy. He is the force that makes Rose realise just how serious her training needs to be and is her ultimate weakness.

My Thoughts:

This book is a great start to a YA series and I can’t wait for the next book.

From The Back Cover:

Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable night-time rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.