Kate's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in November, 2011

I rarely read nonfiction and would have never picked this up except it was sent to me from Random's Readers Circle. WOW! This book read like a compelling piece of fiction and was powerful in the portrayal of life in one of modern India's most notorius slums. I had to keep reminding myself that the characters were real people and not a figment of the author's imagination. A very fast read and one I'd recommend. The startling descriptions of how many of the residents of the Annawadi slum of Mumbai, existing in the shadow of many 4 start hotels makes you feel you are there with Abdul, Manju and their families. The writer's epilogue at the end is really interesting as she brings home the fact that these are real people, struggling with ongoing poverty, poor health and government coruption where everything is for sale. The author, Katherine Boo, is a Pulitzer prize winner for some of her other writings.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.