Gerri Leen's Reviews > My Name is Not Easy

My Name is Not Easy by Debby Dahl Edwardson

Jan 02, 2012

liked it
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 02, 2012

I'm sort of a tailor-made audience for this book. I love young adult and I'm very pro Native American (to the point where I actually am biased toward that group--a group I'm not a part of--when I take the hidden bias tests at the Harvard site. I'm not biased for any other group that way). So...did I like this? Yes. Did I love this? No.

The like part: I did not know this phase of history despite growing up in Seattle--where Alaska is very close and where I went to school with people who were Alaskan natives. In that sense, I liked this book very much and learned a lot.

But love it? No. It's curiously....passionless. I never felt that I knew the children. They almost blurred together at times, despite being quite different. All the major events seemed to be treated at a distance until the end. I know that native tradition is a storyTELLING tradition but still, I would have liked a little more show and a lot less tell to this story. The evershifting POV didn't help this story--it's a pet peeve of mine anyway, but I never felt as if I could settle while reading this.

I'm not sorry I read this. I just don't feel much about the experience. Not really the way I want to come out of a book--especially one with this much promise going in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Not Easy.