Stephanie's Reviews > The Witches of Eastwick

The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike

Nov 15, 11

John Updike’s “The Witches of Eastwick” was disappointing for me. I’m going to be completely honest: I read this book because I absolutely loved the movie. I know that there is a lot of risk in doing that but I thought with all of the good things I have heard of Updike that I would have enjoyed it. I put it down after the first page and had to force myself to pick it back up. In this case I am extremely glad I watched the film first, I doubt I would have given it a real shot had I read it first.

My main issue is the characters. I did not find these women likable. It’s like he doesn’t understand women at all. I read one of his stories, A&P, in an English class and I’ve noticed that it seems like a common theme in his writing: objectifying women. Granted A&P certainly doesn’t go as far as Witches does. I understand if he was trying to show the promiscuous side of women, but that’s it. There was not much else to them, which doesn’t help them seem anymore believable.
Also, a lot of his descriptions didn’t make sense. The pages were crawling with confusing similes and metaphors like “Her voice bristled like a black cat’s fur, iridescent.”

I still found the story engaging, however. Despite already knowing what it’s all about I found myself drawn to certain parts, wondering what was going to happen. I think the perspective really helped the story. It was written in third person omniscient. Limiting the story to first person in that of one of the women wouldn’t have been as interesting. Having it from Darryl’s perspective would have been a disaster.

I had really hoped I would like this book. I can’t say that I hated it, parts of it were enjoyable and the story was unique. But I don’t think I’ll be running to the nearest Barnes and Noble to pick up the sequel. I gave it a chance but I still I’ll just stick with Cher, Michelle, Susan and Jack.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches of Eastwick.