Monique's Reviews > Black Orchid Blues

Black Orchid Blues by Persia Walker

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: what-it-is-whats-up-mystery-novel
Read in November, 2011

Was blown away by this book..This was totally out of my comfort zone as it dealt with the Harlem Renaissance.. and while I truly love, admire and respect ALL the authors that come out of this tumultous period I rarely read their work--shame on me I know but after reading a few Langston Hughes poems, a Countee Cullen novel, Phyllis Wheatley you know major African American classics I find them awfully depressing, real and emotional yes but terribly sad.. sorry but seriously--okay so this book has all that too and I still liked it, the history and 1920's glamour and glitz, racial tension and trouble--you can see Harlem the way the author describes it and feel the mood of the Cinnamon Club, hear the sax and the singers croon and sway--she actually even incorporates 'secret Harlem" and what few knew about the rich and famous--that was fabulous, surprisingly I actually loved that about the book and then to top it off she threw in a spicy mystery/kidnapping and thoroughly grabbed my attention..The heroine reporter Lanie Price is covering the mysterious life of an up and coming lounge singer Queenie Lovetree when gunfire disrupts the night and Queenie is captured and people are left dead..Uncovering the mystery of who and what Queenie really is turns out to be just half of Lanie's fight as she is compelled and cajoled in more ways than one to get to the bottom of everything..The twists, turns and unpredictablity of this historical mystery make the pages turn and you are horrified, remorseful, saddened and confused all at once and for that I highly recommend and will definitely look for more from Persia Walker.. this was a diamond in the rough I would normally bypass...Liked it alot:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Orchid Blues.