Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~'s Reviews > Triangles

Triangles by Ellen Hopkins

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in November, 2011

This was my first book by this author as I'm not a huge fan of YA. Since I listened to it on audio book, her verse type writing style didn't really come across. The characters were extremely engrossing and I found myself caught up in the lives of these 3 women instantly. Although it wouldn't take a literary genius to figure out which way the storylines where headed, I truly enjoyed the ride. The emotional punch of several parts of this story left me breathless. Other parts made me angry. One poignant scene in particular made me cry - I rarely cry when reading, but it was extremely powerful.

My main criticism of the book was the poetry type chapters which bridged the women's chapters. I felt they were totally unnecessary and impeded the flow of the book. The only ones I felt truly worked were the first and last one. The rest were simply annoying and useless. This is the reason I can not give the book a 5.

By the end of the book I was so immersed in these characters lives, I was disappointed that the author did not offer more definitive closure for them. However with that said, I can appreciate that she did not make the ending clichéd with happily ever afters for all involved. She made it realistic. The magnitude of the midlife issues and family drama all of these women were facing could not simply end with a nice neat epilogue - not if the complexity of the entire book is to be taken seriously. Still, I'd love to revisit Holly, Marissa, and Andrea a year or two later to see what happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triangles.

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Wow, awesome review Denise!

Annie She has a book planned, I think it is going to be called "Tilt" that is about the kids in "Triangles". I think it will be rather interesting. I loved this book. I am glad you enjoyed it too :)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Annie wrote: "She has a book planned, I think it is going to be called "Tilt" that is about the kids in "Triangles". I think it will be rather interesting. I loved this book. I am glad you enjoyed it too :)"

Thanks for letting me know, why I'm not a YA fan I'll definitely be reading "Tilt".

message 4: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Nice review Denise! I need to read this too.