Jonathan Stemberger's Reviews > The Cricket in Times Square

The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

Nov 15, 11

The Cricket in Times Square:
George Selden writes a coming of age story in The Cricket in Times Square. He builds strong characters in the story with Harry, Tucker, and Chester the cricket; I also hope to build strong characters in my one writing. The main characters are animals which make the story individual and specific; they are easily stereotyped by their own nature. The piece provides a strong setting for the reader, I hope to replicate Selden’s type of description, and he is very specific with cultural references like The Times and Liverwurst sandwiches. The diction Seldon works with the setting to make it stronger, Seldon has his characters speaking in a New York accent and visiting actual places pertinent to the scene like China Town. The interesting and positive nature of the main characters fighting against the wild, made this story special to me growing up, and I hope that I can write such memorable characters also.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cricket in Times Square.