Rowena's Reviews > The Golden Tulip

The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker

Jun 14, 08

This is the story of the Visser family set in 17th century Holland. The father Hendrick is a wonderful painter but a drunk and a gambler. In one fateful act, he loses the family's fortune and is forced to promise his eldest daughter, Francesca to marry his loathsome patron Ludolf in order to keep their livelihood. Francesca is a painter herself and is in fact apprenticed to Johannes Vermeer. She has already fallen in love with a tulip grower Pieter van Doorne and the story follows of the Visser family's various struggles.

This was a beautifully written story...the way that RL mixed in the elements of painting with the ups and downs of the Visser family. Furthermore, each character had such sharply defined personalities.. my favorite was Aletta..mostly for her quiet intensity and her stubbornness. I gave this novel 4 stars mainly because the poliical sections seemed to be so randomly thrown in. It didn't mix well with the subtle beauty of the original story and I was thrown off at the end. Still, a lovely read and I plan on picking up her others soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Tulip.