Kelly's Reviews > Dreamland Social Club

Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: could-not-finish, ya-fiction, read-in-2011

I gave this a good 65 pages before giving up. I wanted to like this more than I did, but the third person tense was so distancing. I never could forge an emotional connection with Jane, and I really wanted to. But each page took me further away from her, as I learned back story of her family's history with the carnival world. Third person past along with back story kept taking me further and further out of the world entirely. The voice wasn't there.

More than that, though, I ... just didn't have the interest in Coney Island, either. There's always a tricky balance when writing about a specific place, especially, I think, when that place is something very New York City. For those with a fascination, it's perfect; for those who don't, it's further distancing, in a way.

I wanted a more universal magic and pop to the circus world and one girl's connection to it, but I didn't quite find it here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland Social Club.

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish Doller Curious to see what you think of this one. I've had it on my nook wishlist for awhile, but haven't downloaded it yet.

message 2: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly hah. I saw this comment AFTER I posted my thoughts.

message 3: by Trish (new)

Trish Doller I've seen vastly different opinions on this one. I may have to see if my library has it.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Trish wrote: "I've seen vastly different opinions on this one. I may have to see if my library has it."

I can see who'd love it, definitely. But not my thing. I'm a little bummed but.