Kristine's Reviews > Jonas

Jonas by Eden Maguire

Nov 17, 11

did not like it
Read from November 15 to 17, 2011

I am trying to think of one redeemable thing about this book and I find myself coming up short. At some point in the third chapter I decided to take notes on the things I disliked about the book, but there were so many that it was taking too long for me to read the book and I just wanted to be done with it. There are so many things wrong with this book; the characters were un-relatable, the situations were unbelievable, the setting was just stupid. Just about every sentence I came across something that made me dislike the book more.

*spoilers*

Darina is your typical moody emo teen, who knows why, because apparently she is hot stuff and everyone wants her. We readers would not know because the author never bothers with actual descriptions of the characters. All she tells us is that every single character in the book is unearthly beautiful. Oh, except Darina's best guy pal, Logan, who wants to be more than friends but he looks like a total geek, so why would she ever date him.

Darina is the most self-centered, egotistical, total bitch of a character. I had a hard time believing any of the other characters wanted to actually be her friend. She is rude, sarcastic, and downright mean, especially to Logan and she is even worse to her mother. The story is told from her POV (except when the author forgets) and from the way Darina tells it, everything that happens in the story is about her.

Another issue I had was all of the extreme names: Darina, Jonas, Phoenix, Arizona, Summer, Hunter. Darina makes a big deal about how small of a town they live in; how likely is it that so many parents in a small town are going to choose such different names. She couldn’t name just one character Jennifer or Paul?

But it’s not just the characters with weird names; ever last rock was a landmark. There was Government Bridge, Angel Rock, Foxton Ridge, Turkeyshoot Ridge. Having names for all these landmarks wouldn’t bother me so much if the author had made any geographical references about how they were located in relation to each other or what they look like. I only had a vague picture as to what the town looked like because she gave me not one little detail about the setting.

Throughout the course of the book the author uses strange phrases as if they’re something you would hear in a normal conversation, and then there is Darina using terms like “pussyfooted”… MORE THAN ONCE! She also refers to her "smokey mascara eyes" which bothered me, possibly because that is the only clue we get as to how she looks. On top of this the author was trying to insert weird advice into the book like always carry a full can of gas in the back of your car because you never know when you might run out. How about watch your gas gauge so you know when you might run out.

Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but all of this stuff starts to add up and it really doesn't even scratch the surface of things I disliked. In the end it all equals one really terrible book. Needless to say, I will not be reading the other three books.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonas.

11/15/2011 page 54
19.0% "I don't know if I can make it through this one. The first two chapters have been little more than Darina feeling bad for herself. I know her boyfriend just died, and while that is a tragedy, I would like something else to happen and move the story along."
11/16/2011 page 102
35.0% "This book is soooooooo bad. I can't stop reading it, however, because I'm at work and I forgot to bring a different book."
show 2 hidden updates…