Kathrynn's Reviews > Carnal Gift

Jun 03, 2008

bookshelves: own, romance-historical, 2008, theme-darn_english_rule, reviewed
Read in November, 2008

3 1/2 Stars!

I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I enjoyed the plot and all the characters; however, the writing was "loose" and repetitive--at times. I disliked (really, really!) how time was taken to "explain" what was happening. Duh! Or to recap the events. Double Ugh! This was my second historical book by this author and though this was much better than the first (Sweet Release), I enjoyed her modern romantic suspense series (I-Team) much more.

Set in Ireland, 1754, with the focus on English cruelty to the Irish or Catholics and there were many times when I felt a history lesson was there that jerked me out of the story. On the plus side, this author can sure write a bottom-dwelling villain! Sheffield Tate was one evil, sick and twisted, vile person. The hero is Jamie--the child in "Sweet Release" or little brother to Cassie--all grown-up. He is visiting his college friend in Ireland and stumbles across a pour Irish girl, Brighid. That was not her full name and let me say that I was not at all impressed by the details of Irish names and Gaelic information that was injected during the story. I'm Irish, but it was too much and disrupted the story, for me.

The plot, suspense and romance were all good. Very entertaining. I enjoyed how the characters grew to trust (and like) each other. There were two romances between the pages of this one: Brighid and Jamie; Fionn and Muirin. The latter being less in the story, but very sweet.

On to the next one in this series...Ride the Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnal Gift.

11/11 page 49
13.17% "This book takes place 21 years AFTER "Sweet Release" (Book 1 in this series) and is about Cassie's younger brother, Jamie (all grown up)."
11/12 page 140
37.63% "Okay, but would like it to pick up...stop recapping."
11/12 page 198
53.23% "This has turned into a darn good book!" 1 comment
11/13 page 283
76.08% "There are two nice love stories inside this book..."
11/14 page 372
100.0% "Not bad."
01/02 marked as: read

Eastofoz Ooo, hated this one Kathrynn (lol!) It's on the ol' cootie-shelf ;) Be interested to hear what you think ;)