Kate's Reviews > Epic: The Story God Is Telling and the Role That Is Yours to Play

Epic by John Eldredge

Nov 15, 11

After reading “Epic” I immediately went in search of more books written by John Eldredge and now have an entire collection. This book is the one that started it all and remains my favorite; I can read it over and over and still learn something new. Eldredge offers a unique and invigorating way to explore Christianity by using the epic movies we love to illustrate Biblical understanding about humanity. His tone is inviting and honest, the structure of each chapter is easy to follow and every point he makes is clear and supported by an example. The idea he offers readers to consider is that the reason epic stories stir our hearts, is because we have been born into an epic story of our own. As Eldredge explains, "every story, great and small, shares the same essential structure because every story we tell borrows its power from a larger story, a story woven into the fabric of our being" (Eldredge 12). Eldredge takes readers on a journey, exploring epic stories such as; The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Wars, Braveheart, Apollo 13, and more alongside the Biblical story of God’s creation of the world, war against evil, and ultimate victory. Eldredge writes from an intelligent, adventurous, and humble perspective. He presents his opinions in a respectful and upbeat way, while still substantiating his points with Biblical and historical references, and leaves readers with a bold and inspiring truth.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epic.