Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011-new-reads
Read in November, 2011

This was adorable. It helps, I'm sure, that the author is in my age cohort. Fluff science fiction, set in the near future, where people our age are old coots, and there is a revival of interest in 80s pop culture when it is revealed that the eccentric designer of a massively popular online game environment embedded a series of secret puzzles (to be solved using one's awesome 80s knowledge) into the virtual world, and the first person to solve them will win ... lots of money and control over virtual reality. It's funny, it's mindless and sincere at the same time (like a Duran Duran video), there's not a lot of depth (um, there's not ANY depth) but it's great if you are the kind of person who is nostalgic about Wargames and Tempest.

Very mild spoiler: I was more annoyed than one might think, though, at the inclusion of The Simpsons and Lord of the Rings (the movies) as 80s pop references. No.

Grade: A, for what it is (and what it is is goofy and endearing)
Recommended: To people who were nerds in the 80s and survived to tell the tale, and people who like gaming.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.