Clarté's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jul 24, 2014

Read from December 10 to 18, 2011

Oh goodness. I can't tell you how refreshing this book was. It gave back my faith in paranormal YA books about angels, and in general. Love love love love!

I don't even know what to say about Laini's masterpiece. It was awesome as it was, I don't think I'd change anything in it. The characters were interesting and unique. And funny. I've craved for a book for so long that made me at least smile, but with this one, there were parts where I was actually grinning like an idiot. It was also very frank; the words 'sex' and 'penis' weren't used in a manner that suggested the writer was blushing a brilliant red and thought twice of it whether to dare put it in the book. It was just right and so go-as-you-please. It was one of the many things I loved.

Other things. The end. There was no real cliffhanger as for the actions, it was rather emotional instead, and it was so good and well-written that I didn't even realize the lack of a big clash that is usually in the end.

More about the well-writtenness. You know, there can be times and books when you really feel with the characters, you live it through with them, and this miracle happens only with the books that are really written in the way that they can touch you. Well it happened now. It made me smile, it made me yearn, it made me feel sad, it made me feel lost, it made me feel sick, and even when I felt I was on the edge of throwing up, it was so delightful, I can't even describe. Love love love love!

Karou. At first I didn't know where to put her name, what to do with it, whether I liked it or not. Now I know that it's just so right, I can't help but love it. She is tough and funny and a past hope romantic, even though at first she doesn't seem like it. She was a perfect protagonist.

Akiva. His name too. Where all these names come from? No idea, but I love the way they divide my opinion. At first they are weird, then as I read, they come closer to me, and just like with wine, you have to keep it in your mouth for a while to know all its tastes. So I read and read, and I liked them more and more until I reached the point where I stand now, that they are sexy. Hot as a working flat-iron. So Akiva, though I didn't really know how to imagine him (not because of lack of describing, but I didn't find the proper face for him in my head) was sexy, with his name and all. I want to know more about him, not his past, we glimpsed that, but about his personality. I felt so sorry for him in the end, he was so... Broken. Let me cuddle you! *opens arms pouting*

All in all.
Why is it so far, the next fall?
I just want to read the sequel,
Can't wait till September.
I can only recommend this book,
It got me on its hook. <3